Weekends at any time
EducationThe University of Texas at Austin - BA, Liberal Arts - Government/Pre-Law , Texas Wesleyan University - Juris Doctor, Law
Experience1) tutored elementary school children through Mu Alpha Theta, math honors program, and also Peer Mediators.
2) Tutored other classmates in high school in English, History, Government, and English Composition.
3) SAT - 1210 - most of my score was based on poor performance on the math section.
-AP - scored all 5 and placed out of all AP English I and II. AP History received a 4. AP Government received a 3.
-UT-Austin - KLEP tests placed out of 2 semesters of Spanish.
4) Why do I want to be a tutor? I want to be a tutor because I have been tutored in the past and with the right system, time management, focus, and accountability, a student should succeed.
5) I studied Government/Pre-Law with a minor in Business Foundations (Marketing). I took over 90 hours and graduated from law school, completing all core curriculum and required classes then focused on legal procedure, legal writing, and property related classes.
6) I never failed or quit at anything, even though there were difficult times. Quitting is never an option. I don't know if this is impressive, but I'll be real frank, I was told after my first semester of law school that it was mathematically impossible for my GPA to raise to the required level and that "law school isn't for everyone." Well, that dean wasn't so great at math and when I walked across the stage, was handed my diploma, shook his hand, and said frankly "you told me that it was mathematically impossible to graduate and that law school wasn't for everyone. Thank you." I then walked off the stage and hugged my parents necks.
My point, there are good teachers and bad teacher, good motivators and bad motivators, it is important that students that struggle should know its not easy for everyone but with hard work and effort, you can succeed.
I was motivated by that dean. Why? Because he condoned quitting and believed that some things are impossible to overcome. That is not the type of teachers, instructors, and motivators, we need to make people successful.
HobbiesI love sports, history, my family and friends, good food, all kinds of music, dancing, and most importantly comedy. I am scheduled to do my first amateur standup show in 3 weeks. Its always been a dream and well I want to act on it.
I own my own oil & gas company. I work long hours but absolutely love it. I get no greater joy than learning more and more about the industry. There are so many different career opportunities within the business. Also, even with current oil & gas prices down if you are able to adapt and find the opportunities that are available even in a down market then you will succeed. It's a blast, whether you enjoy math, science, history, business, geology, engineering, sales, marketing, etc. It provides an opportunity for every possible interest. I'd love to teach students about running title, drafting & negotiating leases/mineral & royalty purchases, legal concepts, and how to create your own business. It's the last gold rush, you are a modern day explorer and as long as you always are honest and work hard then you will be successful. Never lie, if you always tell the truth then you never have to remember what you said and in 1 second your reputation can be destroyed by one poor decision.
It is important to do what you love. What I love is the ability to take care of those that I care for. Trips, cars, clothes, those don't matter. It is seeing my friends and family happy and taken care of. If you find that thing that truly motivates you and makes you happy then do it. The world is changing and an education is the most important thing you can attain. However, be smart and practical, find an interest and make sure that it will allow you to afford the lifestyle that you plan to live and provide for others.
Quitting should never be an option. There are people, myself included, who are here to help you and genuinely want to see the youth of America succeed.
Matthew J. Bankhead
ACT with Writing, Advanced Placement, PSAT Critical Reading, PSAT Writing Skills, American History, Ancient and Medieval Heritage, AP Comparative Government and Politics, AP European History, AP Human Geography, AP U.S. Government & Politics, AP United States History, AP US History, AP World History, European History, Government, History, IB History HL, IB History SL, US Constitutional History, Religious Studies, US History, World Civilization, World History, Study Skills, Writing, Geography, 10th Grade, 11th Grade, 12th Grade, 1st Grade, 2nd Grade, 3rd Grade, 4th Grade, 5th Grade, 6th Grade, 7th Grade, 8th Grade, 9th Grade, AP, Homeschool, Honors, Middle School, Summer Tutoring, Human Resources, Economics, Advertising, Business Enterprise, Management, Marketing, Sociology, Intellectual Property Law, Family Law, Civil Procedure, Constitutional Law, Property Law, Contract Law, Criminal Law, Legal Research
Inquire about this tutor
The tutor will respond if they are available/interested.